Saturday 6 June 2009

Happy Birthday, Henry

Today, June 6th, the 65th anniversary of D Day, Henry Allingham, Britain’s oldest man celebrates his 113th birthday.

Living in three centuries is no mean achievement. Henry is the first British man in history to have 113 candles on his birthday cake!

Born in 1896, the year that Queen Victoria became England’s longest serving monarch, the first Olympic Games of the modern era were held and Guglielmo Marconi patented wireless telegraphy, what world changes he has seen!

We wish him the happiest of birthdays and look forward to toasting his 114th in twelve months time.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately many of the changes that have come about during Henry's life don't seem to have been for the better but let's hope the next 113 years will improve. My dad was there on the beaches on D Day and as I glanced out to sea at Southwold yesterday (6 June), I couldn't help but shed a tear (which I blamed on the gale force winds!). In fact I was so inspired by the windswept sea shore and my dad's tales, I'm now about to write up a little something based on his life.

    ReplyDelete